Thursday, April 16, 2020

NDV Student Update

We recently heard from Thu, a student from one of our partner orphanages who is attending university. She is doing well, and her experiences are not unlike any first year student away from “home” for the first time. You can read excerpts from her letter to us  below. 


"...In addition to the lack of food and drink to save money, I only spend on the study space. I am looking forward to my interest. I hope the organizers of New Day will be interested in helping me to always create favorable conditions for me to study, live and accompany me during my school years. I can get a book to go to school. I try my best to study well, I will not disappoint the organizers of New Day and the people who always help me."
 
"I am currently a freshman at Dong Nai Medical College, majoring in pharmacy... I was a poor student who came from Ninh Thuan [orphanage] to Dong Nai to go to school quickly. From a student she does not know anyone, do not have a friend, very shy, scared, did not dare to contact or talk to people. The first time I started studying was also not effective and the results were not as expected, because my shy, scared personality did not dare to discuss with the teachers and friends about the lessons I did not understand yet. During this time, I realized that I had to be open, active, sharing, caring, and learning for everyone. That way, I can learn a lot of experiences, to gain useful knowledge to create favorable conditions for my training and study to be more effective and better overcome for myself."

We also recently received an update from Dieu, another one of the university students we are sponsoring from a partner orphanage. She is also doing well, and you can read an excerpt from her letter below. Dieu was orphaned at the age of 6 when both of her parents died in a car accident. You can read about Dieu and the other students we are sponsoring at the link below. 


"My study hasn’t been too difficult. It is OK. Now, I live in a dorm at Da Lat City. Thanks to part-time jobs at a buffet restaurant and support of New Day it is still possible to afford its student life. In addition to studying and working part-time, I also participate in extracurricular programs at my university. It helped me to find more fun in student life. Every day after school, I interacted with some friends, learning something useful from them. We help each other in student life, confide and share the joys and sorrows. I feel adapted to the life and environment here. I will do my best."

We heard from Nhan, another one of the students we are sponsoring from a partner orphanage. Like the others, Nhan has had to adjust to her first year at university away from the orphanage. As she shares in the comments below, she is doing well, but her daily life has been impacted by the covid-19 virus.


"In the first days of student life, like other students, although there are many surprises and difficulties, I feel very happy, proud and full of new emotions about this student life. The difficulties I face are difficulties in learning, communication, social activities and personal activities. .. In learning, the difficult job I encountered was the language because my major needed English so learning with foreign teachers was quite difficult for me. Because the fee is not available, after studying English at school, I will arrange time to learn more English online or friends instead of taking extra classes."

"I am staying in a dorm on *** Street, which is very secure and fully equipped, but the travel is a bit inconvenient because the road is quite empty and far from school. To save money, we buy the food and cook by myself to save money. After school, I applied to work part-time at the night market to earn extra income. Now, by the virus COVID 19, i can't go out for work, the difficulty more than the school has to be stopped, instead i have to learn online to keep up the program. Because of the virus, I could not go to work part time, and the room is not discount, and the prices of goods kept rising. So, during this time, it was really hard for students. I understand that the road ahead is still very arduous and challenging, thanks to the care and help of teachers and everyone, friends. I will try to fulfill my study mission."

Finally, we heard from Nong, the last of the four students we are currently sponsoring. You can see excerpts from his letter in the comments below. As you can read in his short bio at the link below, Nong has suffered much loss in his life, but he hopes that a college education will enable him to help others in similar situations. We count it a privilege to help Nong and the other students in this season of their lives.



"This letter I would like to send to thank New Day for always accompanying me in the past. I would like to talk about my learning. The knowledge is very new and difficult I had not caught up, but after a while, I gradually gained the knowledge and know how to acquire the knowledge that the teachers conveyed. By now everything is fine with me."

"At the moment, I live in the dormitory and I pay for myself, the facilities are very comfortable. The cost of living depends on the every months, sometimes it is not enough expenses, there are months difficult. before, I gone to work overtime, so the spending is quite stable. But now I don't go to work, because the virus. so spending has a little bit difficult."


We are currently sponsoring four students from this orphanage, but we would love to grow this program in the coming months. You can read about the lives of each of these young people and how you can help on the link to our website below. 

http://www.newdayfosterhome.com/en/our-children/nd-vietnam/#scholarship 

No comments:

Post a Comment