Monday, January 23, 2012

Year of the Dragon: Dumplings

This is one tradition that I'm sure you all are familiar with. Dumplings, called Jiaozi in China, are the special New Year meal. Families gather together on New Year's Eve and prepare Jiaozi to feast on at midnight. Most families still prepare the entire dumplings from scratch - mixing the dough and then rolling out the wrappers - a long and tedious process. Pre-made wrappers are also sold nowadays, and this year we decided to take the easy road. The fillings were all prepared by hand, though!




The kids loved watching their nanny's fingers fly during the dumpling preparation, and then feasting on the yummy jiaozi. Samuel is the holder of NDFH's all-time dumpling eating record. Can you guess what that record is? We'll announce who guessed the closest guess later this week.

4 comments:

  1. Let's see...I'm going to guess 17???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I'm going to guess 10 since that's the number that immediately flew into my cap. They seem big for such a little man! I have a feeling I'm going to be surprised though!
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. 20?? This is just based on my brothers's abilities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe seven. That's a lot for a little boy. My grandson who is almost five is a big eater and might eat six or seven, so I'm guessing that Samuel ate seven delicious dumplings.

    ReplyDelete